Sunday 22 July 2012

Liebster Blog Award!


Okay, I feel awful because I was actually awarded the Liebster Blog Award when I first started my blog by the wonderful Sydney from Words About Words, but somehow got caught up in work and completely forgot to share! Luckily, I was just tagged again by the awesome Grad Student from Young Adult Fiction & Whiskey Sours and it reminded me. Thank you both! This award is for new bloggers with less than 200 followers.

"Award winners share 11 facts about themselves, answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who tagged them, come up with 11 of their own questions and tag 11 more bloggers with the award." (Description from YA Fiction & Whiskey Sours)

I tried finding the originator of the Liebster Blog Award to link back but it's a total dead end. I have no idea where it came from, which is actually sort of cool, so if anyone knows do let me know.

My questions, my facts and my nominees after the break!



1. Do you ever skip to the end of a book? 

Never! I'm strongly against skipping (though I definitely tend to skim a few pages ahead) because I don't like spoilers! Especially when it comes to big events like a character's death. It totally ruins the emotional impact for me. 

2. What is the book you are most proud of having read?

All of the Lord of the Rings books, because they're so long. I read every single ballad and battle.

3. What is the book you are most embarrassed of having read?

Probably The Clique by Lisi Harrison. But to be honest, I'm never that embarrassed of having read something because I always try to give books a chance, especially if they're considered stupid/embarrassing! I won't make fun of something if I haven't tried it.

4. Where is your favorite spot to relax?

My bed.

5. What is your favorite movie?

I don't have a favorite, but I love The Lord of the Rings, Stand By Me, Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley version), Cube, The Breakfast Club, The Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, 3:10 to Yuma, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Mean Girls, Bourne movies, Remember the Titans, Memento, LOL (french one), My Girl, The Usual Suspects, Atonement, Amadeus and most Disney/Pixar movies. Oh, and The Swan Princess. :) 

I'm not very picky. 

6. Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Team Edward. I know Jacob is a lot more down-to-earth and behaves in more socially acceptable ways (relatively. don't know if trespassing/stalking beats imprinting on toddlers), but I was never a big fan.

7. If you could name a pet after a character in a book, who would it be?

Pantalaimon from the His Dark Materials trilogy. 

8. What was the last book that kept you up way too late reading?

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta, a few nights ago! Still can't get over how good it was.

9. Do you have any books signed by the author?

Yes I do! Both by authors who came to my school. I have The Book Thief signed by Markus Zusak, who is actually hilarious and writes the longest autographs! He even drew a stick figure! I also have Stormbreaker signed by Anthony Horowitz, who was pretty eccentric but a really nice guy. 

I also have a copy of Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve that I bought at a second-hand bookstore in Camden Market in London that turned out to be signed! Who knows if it's real though, because it was written in pencil, haha. 

I can't wait to go to more book signings in London! They always seem to conflict with my schedule though.

10. How did you decide on what to call your blog?

(Regurgitated from my About Me) I'd love to say that I was a huge fan of owls (or heads), but I'm really not. I have a weird sense of humor and I thought 'The Headless Owl' was just dark enough for my tastes while still being sort of cute. If you can't tell, the owl in my header is in fact headless and holding his own head. 

Owls are also commonly associated with books/learning, so I thought it worked out!

11. Do you follow any blogs religiously that AREN'T about books?

My sis Kylie from A Cloud House is a photographer who takes amazing photos and writes wonderful, lyrical entries! She also takes amazing levitation photos. Aside from her blog, I occasionally frequent Mormon Mommy blogs! They're so addictive, even though at 19 I can't really relate. Rockstar Diaries is a great example.


11 Facts about Me:
  1. My favorite food is eggs.
  2. I don't like it when people wear socks in my bed or shoes in the house.
  3. I've lived in 4 countries and 6 cities.
  4. I'm a fast typer! I can type more than 100 wpm.
  5. I'm also a pretty fast reader. 
  6. When I was about 3 I would watch The Jungle Book on repeat for hours. Now I can't stand it.
  7. I am notorious for annoying people when I lend them books. You know in movies when the kids are in the backseat and won't stop asking the parents when they'll get there? That's me, except with books, checking to see if you've finished yet.
  8. When I was 12 I read Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld and was so scandalized by some of the content that I ripped out the offending pages and threw them away in a public trash can so that my parents wouldn't see. 
  9. My least favorite book is Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson.
  10. I have a bad habit of swinging my arm too much when I walk.
  11. A big part of the reason why I started blogging has to do with my experience at The Hunger Games European premiere in March. Might do a post on it one day.
My questions to my nominees:
  1. If you could meet any living author, who would you choose and why?
  2. Why Young Adult?
  3. What is your favorite bookstore or library and why?
  4. Rank the last 5 books you read from most enjoyed to least enjoyed.
  5. What books made you love reading?
  6. Why and when did you start blogging?
  7. If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and what book would you take?
  8. Describe your dream book.
  9. What's your favorite book cover(s)?
  10. What is your favorite food?
  11. Are you a city person or a country person?
Passing the award on to:

Thanks for the tag, Sydney and Grad Student! This past month has been amazing! I've loved getting to know other bloggers, including the ones mentioned above. I think I may have missed some other eligible blogs I follow so let me know if there's anyone else you think should be nominated! Have a great week everyone!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the nomination, I very much appreciate it! I look forward to answering these questions in my next post!

    And your 8th fact had me almost in tears... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Lauren! Can't wait to see your answers. :) And lol I was soo dramatic back then!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome and so exciting! Thanks so much for nominating me :) And haha agreed that #8 was pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for finishing the Lord of the Rings trilogy! I've tried but failed...I don't think they're my type of books. Thank you so much for awarding me the Liebster Blog Award! It really means a lot, so thank you:) I would also like to congratulate you for being awarded this award yourself! You absolutely deserve it; this blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely prefer the movies over the books! They are so hard to read. And thanks so much Zoe! :) So excited to see your blog grow and develop, because your reviews are brilliant!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Lauren! :)

    Is it okay that I reply to your questions on here? I hope so. *blog blushes* - I'm terrible at tagging people. Takes me ages, lol.


    1. If you could meet any living author, who would you choose and why? Paulo Coelho. I would want to meet him because I think his books are incredibly profound. He seems like a very funny and wise person. And I just love how he is always trying to inspire people to pursue their dreams.

    2. Why Young Adult? Honestly, I just find the Young Adult genre to be more inspiring to me. I like how in many young adult books, even though the characters face incredible challenges, there is still this sense of hope, of finding oneself. Even in the YA books that are more fun and less serious, you can always find that one character who is trying to be better amongst all odds. I love it!

    3. What is your favorite bookstore or library and why? I used to be obsessed with Borders. But now that it is no longer in business, I have recently discovered Books-a-million and I am in love. Their YA selection is amazeballs. And dont even get me started on their sales section. It makes me fangirl. I have gotten some amazing deals there! And it is soo tranquil too :D

    4. Rank the last 5 books you read from most enjoyed to least enjoyed. I research my books like no one's business so I have had a lot of luck in that all my last reads where amazeballs like I thought they would be. The Golden Lily, Defy, and Sweet Evil were just my top top favorites, so good. Then Foretold and Feathermore come in a close second to those! They were fun as well!

    5. What books made you love reading? Wizard of Oz when I was a kid. Harry Potter in my teenage years. Twilight books in college (guilty pleasures) made me discover YA and got me to love reading again.

    6.Why and when did you start blogging? August of 2011. The discovery of book blogs was a huge reason. I was, like, "oh snap, I want to do that, too" LOL. Also, I just wanted to learn more about YA, and to meet more bookish peeps like me :)

    7.If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and what book would you take? Paris, France. I would take two books with me to Paris: Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly! :)

    8.Describe your dream book. A book that is thought-provoking, with layered characters but with bouts of humour and amazing world building. And possibly with a super swoon worthy guy in it (Shameless, I know :D )

    9. What's your favorite book cover(s)? The first US book cover of Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel. I love the Harry Potter book covers. Defy by Raine Thomas. The new covers for the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. The Infernal Devices covers!

    10.What is your favorite food? pizza with fries. And the Caribbean girl in me loves mangú, which is a Dominican dish that consists of smashed plantains (green banana) with like sprinkles of tiny onions on the top, with fried eggs to accompany it.

    11. Are you a city person or a country person? City person all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with number 2, and Borders was my favorite book store as well! I was so sad when it shut down. So many memories. I've never been to Books-a-Million but a large YA section is really key for me, so I'm glad you've found a replacement.

      Also, mangu sounds so delicious. I definitely want to try that someday. I love plantains (especially battered and fried) and I'm obsessed with eggs so that sounds to die for.

      Thanks so much for answering my random questions! Such an interesting read, Jen. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the nomination, Lauren! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lauren :)! Here's my responses to your questions and new nominees if you want to check it out: http://heartisinthewriteplace.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-blog-award.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked it out! thanks for answering, Christine! LOVED reading your answers.

      Delete
  7. L, thank you sooo much for the nomination! I put my post up earlier today. I love what you've got here. *Hug* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely deserve it!! off to read right now! bro hug back :)

      Delete

I love meeting other bloggers and readers, so let me know what you think! I try to always reply to comments, either directly or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...